From the Counselor’s Desk ..
Brain Bank – The Source of thoughts and actions
Everything, from the behavior, from an atom to something as big as a galaxy could be explained on the basis of Homoeostasis. “Our potentials are limited not by any external situations but rather by personal choices to restrict our own options to those we feel comfortable with.”
Counseling is a process that includes not only a technique but, more, an understanding of human psychology and, importantly, of life in general.
Counseling is a very important program in our school. It is the process by which students are given advice on how to deal with emotional conflicts and personal problems both in school and how to incorporate the same in their daily life. Some sessions involve career guidance where students are advised on which courses to do and which jobs to expect when one does a particular course.
The following are some of the benefits of counseling:
- Students are given solutions on how to deal with psychological problems which might affect their studies. Through this, the students are able to develop problem solving skills which to an extent helps them deal with particular issues surrounding their lives.
- Students are advised on how to cope with different situations facing them in their school life. For instance, on how to relate with their peers.
- It helps to shape a student's behavior and instill discipline in students. Students who are guided and counseled in a right way tend to know what to do and how to do such things.
- Students get to learn how to live in harmony with others in the school community. In doing so, they also learn to appreciate the people around them and come to harmony with their environment.
- As their problems are channelized through guidance and counseling, it bridges the gap between the students and the school administration.
- Students get comprehensive pieces of advice on careers, courses and jobs which enables them to have an informed choice on what to do after school.
It allows students to talk about various matters which they feel uncomfortable talking about with their parents which include things like drug abuse, sexual abuse, mental harassment etc. It also allows the students to become better people because they are taught by the counselors about how to behave in a proper manner.
It enables the students, who are undergoing difficulty in their lives, to have a good place to ask for questions and clarity from guiding and counseling. There are some questions that one may find difficult to ask his/her parents. A student can ask any question without fear.
Counseling is not an art separate from the universe but a part of it. Hence, it necessitates that we study not only the psychological sciences but try to understand the essence and purpose of our own existence.
If you fail, never give up because F.A.I.L. means “First Attempt In Learning” End is not the end, in fact E.N.D. means “Effort Never Dies” If you get No as an answer, remember N.O. means “Next Opportunity”. So let’s be positive. - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam